Monday, December 10, 2012

What is my purpose?


What is my purpose?

I wouldn’t say that anyone on this earth has one single purpose. Our purpose on this earth is constantly changing and evolving as we grow and move throughout our lives. Trying to define someone or box them up into one single purpose is impossible, but I guess I can give it my best shot.

As a student I am planning for my future event though it is very vague what that will be like I am doing my best to prepare for whatever may come. Right now I am trying to survive this year as best I can despite the fact that I have absolutely no motivation. I have never felt so tired of school. Now that I can see the finish line I am most eager to just hustle through these next few months.  As much as I want this year to be over I am nervous about what is going to happen next year, I am the most indecisive person you will ever meet so trying to pick a school is so unbelievably hard. I make a new decision once a week and I know I will regret my decision within a month of making it. The fact that it is going to decide the next four years of my life it is a lot of pressure. I really wish I had the option to take some time of and travel, see the world, and truly figure out what my purpose is or something I can get truly passionate about and devote my life to. This would be so much easier without all the stress of being a student, getting ahead, or making money. But since money always seems to be the goal I don’t have the luxury to take time off.

The purpose of life is a life of purpose- Dalai Lama

As an over all purpose I hope to someday feel so truly passionate about a cause or a stance that I can throw myself into, and do my part to make a difference. One of the things on my bucket list is to be involved in something that will make it into the history books. I was inspired to put this on my bucket list after watching a documentary on Eddie Addams. Eddie was a combat photographer in the Korean War; he took some of the most influential, earth shattering pictures of all time. I find it so interesting that he lived the life of a soldier and got into some of the most dangerous territory to take these pictures that changed life back in the states. I don’t necessarily plan on photography but I love the concept of capturing a picture or creating a piece of art that brings people out of their comfort zone and shows them something they had never seen or thought about before. If I could shake society even in some small way I would feel like my life was a success. I feel like society as a whole needs a wakeup calls every once in a while.

“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.” –Cezar A. Cruz

This quote doesn’t necessarily just apply to art, people should be pushing boundaries in all facets of life. I truly hope passion and purpose will overlap in my world. I have never been a very left brained person, I am scattered and generally messy, so naturally art is an attractive activity for someone like me. Luckily it is something I can get passionate about. I am not necessarily a great artist by most standards but I justify my art as art due to the fact that when I do it it’s for me. I don’t go out of my way to make something that everyone likes I make art that means something to me and if it means something to someone else that is just dandy. I feel like throughout my life I will take my time away from doing any kind of art but I will always end up going back due to the fact that it is a passion of mine. I like to think I won’t commit myself to one single medium; I just love creating and exploring new ways to do it. I’m not sure if this actually defined my “purpose” but I’m sure you learned a lot about me regardless. I didn’t realize I had such big plans. I’m sure will try my hardest to achieve them but I’m sure reality will hit during college.





1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't it be a luxury to travel the world? It is extremely expensive to travel, but I completely understand your vision! I think you will find your purpose (rather than just a job) in which you can have a sense of fulfillment and a chance to push those boundaries! :)

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete